A little cooking experiment

Since I just moved into my new apartment and haven't amassed a great pantry or even food to fill my fridge yet I had to go grocery shopping the other evening.  I managed to get through the week on just a few necessities, but before leaving Santa Cruz to go back to San Mateo last Sunday I made a quick stop at Safeway.  Seriously, I think I was in and out in less than 20 min.  
While grabbing the things I needed for the week I thought it would also be nice to get some pancake mix.  I love how quick and easy and yummy pancakes are.  So, I found the right aisle and was eyeing the different choices as I walked closer.  But, just steps away from actually having a good view of the options of the shelf I was assaulted.  Head-on, skin pealing, toenail curling fart dropped by the man already gazing at the boxes of mix.  I switched into high gear and without pausing grabbed a box of something and ran.  

It wasn't until I was loading the groceries into the car that I noticed that what I grabbed wasn't pancake mix.  Instead, I'd gotten waffle mix.  Hmmmm, I began thinking,  This could probably work for pancakes, right?

Fast forward to Friday... I had the day off {thank you Cesar Chavez} and decided to make my "pancakes".  Well, wouldn't you know it we were all out of eggs.  In my search to see what we could substitute I found some of the weirdest things.  Have you ever heard of substituting a banana for an egg?!  I decided to just wing it - followed the recipe, but added a little bit of milk too.  When that made it seem way to runny I added a little flour.  

And... it worked.  Slightly different tasting, almost sweet due to the mix I think, but not bad.  We ate them with butter and honey {gosh, I guess I need to get some syrup too}.  All in all, they were good, but I wouldn't recommend this method.  Next time I'll just make a quick run to the Safeway that is a 5min drive from my place {although, I was less than impressed the first time I went there}.  Next time, I'll actually buy the right mix or even make my own - it should be simple, right?

Happy weekend!  I'll be spending it looking for good deals at the Flea Market and making curtains.  

Comments

  1. thanks for the laugh, megs! how's your new digs? tell me more! love em

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment