today...I did it

I finally went swimming.  This has been something I've been saying I'd do once I'd finally gotten settled into a routine.  I guess the problem with settling into a routine is just that... they're hard to break.  Besides, who in their right mind wants to get up at 5:15 and be in the water at 5:30.  {must stop thinking these thoughts, if I'm going to go tomorrow morning!}  But I didn't have to get up early to go swimming today.  Instead, I just fast walked home from the train station and quickly threw on my swimsuit.  In under 5 min I was back out the door and on my way to the pool.  

The masters group was small today.  Small as in just two other swimmers besides me.  But I got the scoop from the volunteer coach - early morning practices are where it's at.  She actually happened to go to Cal Poly too and graduated just a couple years before me.  It was nice to meet some new people, but boy did I feel like a slug in the water.  Slugs usually don't swim very well.  I got to talk with the other girl who swam with me and she did her PhD in microbiology and works for genentech.  When I asked her what she did she responded with a very general answer, but when I told her I was a micro major she totally perked up.  

My body is feeling good - tired, but good.  And I'm thinking, tomorrow morning I just might check out what it's like to swim with the bigger group.  Having more of a "team" feeling would be great and really motivating.  Here's hoping I don't just turn the alarm off and roll right back over and go to sleep.  Oh, that reminds me... I actually better set my alarm clock.    

Comments

  1. Good for you! I crap out on most of the fitness-related activities I say I want to do. I need to be better about that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment