Hi there! I'd love to hear from you!

holiday handmades

By Sunday, January 24, 2010 , , ,

Here's a quick look at a couple presents I made for the holidays. I was bad and didn't take pictures of everything I made - darn it!

For Lukas's grandma I made this apron. I really loved the sweet, feminine design when I first saw this. But I had to work to make it not to "cute-tsy" for Lukas's grandma. I found this brown fabric with Asian inspired flowers at Jo-Ann's and paired it with some matching bias tape. I kept it simple - and am happy with how it turned out. Let me tell you though... sewing on a curve and having to make sure I caught both edges of the binding all at the same time gave me quite a few headaches. The seams ending up being so small that in several places I had to re-stitch many times. It'll be a little while till I totally forget this and make one for myself. {ps. She liked it!}

For Lukas's mom I made a little boxy pouch, but no pictures to show you. I even bound all the seams on the inside - fancy! I followed a tutorial {not this one, but it's really similar} and it was a breeze to sew up. I filled it with some yummy peach-ginger tea and some maple spiced pecans.

For my mom, I made here this lunch bag. She always brings her lunch to work in a plastic shopping bag. She brings her left overs in little Tupperwares, so anything I made her had to be big enough to fit those. I used some doggie Heather Ross fabric 'cause my mom loves dogs and lined the inside with a green polka dotted laminated fabric.

For Matt's girlfriend Michelle I made a coffee cup cozy. I followed this tutorial from House on Hillroad. I used a little elastic instead of the recommended hair tie 'cause that's what I had on hand. But other wise I followed all the directions and it worked just fine. I got her a little gift card to Starbucks and put it in a clean to-go cup with the cozy on the outside {pretty much copying Erin - thanks for the good idea!}. I'll definitely have to keep this tutorial in the rotation for future gift giving. {again, no picture}

And for Lukas I made a scarf. He picked out the flannel plaid and brown fleece - he always makes good fabric choices. I sewed the two together in a long tube and turned it right side out. Then to keep the two layers together I quilted it with diamonds. They're hard to see in this picture, but it does the job and looks good too.
"It keeps my head warm this way too!"



Other little bits of my life...

0 comments