Quilt Story :: Wild Sky Mug Rug

 


As I type up this quilt story, I'm obsessively checking the tracking (out for delivery!), so eager to have this tiny quilt delivered. I think, after My Feet Have Wings, this is the most proud I've been of a quilt finish - that it's only 6"x8" be damned. I'm proud of the design - how I interpreted the inspiration photos and Mikka's logo, and my ability to sew something that looked like what I designed. I'm proud of the precision in my piecing. I'm proud of the cleanest machine-binding finish I've ever had.   

This quilt came to be when my Instagram quilt friend (ugh, all those qualifiers when a friend would do) posted that she thought she was part of a Valentine's mug rug swap, but she had missed the cut-off. I had been feeling remorse for not signing up myself and jumped at the chance to have a little side-swap. And, because I was swapping with a friend instead of a stranger, I found it even more thrilling. 

Even though the half-square triangles finish at 1", this little mug rug was a great pallet cleanser after the time-consuming process of paper piecing snails. A bit of chain piecing. Lots of careful pressing and pinning. A few special hand stitches and minimal quilting. All the extra half-square triangles became the label - cute and efficient! All fabrics, binding, and batting are from my stash - yay, net zero fabric! It wasn't until I went to add the hand stitching that I noticed that I'd taken some creative liberties with her logo. Yet, while I was adding the stitching, she posted an updated version of her logo, and while it's not an exact match, my version matched her new logo even better. Kismet!      



Pattern: Created from self-drafted quilt design based on Wild Sky Quilts Logo
Fabrics: Stash - including Lizzy House
Thread: Hand Dyed by Stuart Moores Textiles + Aurifil
Quilting: machine by me








Comments