sewing for baby :: geranium dress

Geranium Dress

This is not my first geranium dress, but it does earn a very special first place in another way. It's the very first thing I've sewn for our baby. And it certainly feels special done up in this nani IRO double gauze fabric. I bought the fabric ages ago to make myself an Everyday skirt after I made the first (and currently only) one. That would have been fun and maybe I will make something for myself with the leftovers but...

Sewing for baby is where it's at right now! After years of sewing for friends' babies, there's a little girl just kicking away in my belly and I get to sew special things just for her. It seemed right to use this special fabric for her. It's soft and cozy and just perfect.

For the first time I tried snaps instead of buttons. I experienced the same oh no, I hope I don't ruin everything feeling before setting the snap just as I do when stitching and opening a button hole. But I LOVED how they came out. Lukas helped me pick out the correct color of snap. Seeing the sunshine-y yellow on the backside makes me smile every time. Thankfully, I was able to add in the interfacing even after the back was sewn up because in my eagerness, I'd totally forgotten that step.

Working in the double gauze was new and a bit tricky for me. The fabric is light and airy and a bit slinky. My pins wanted to slip right out unless I to extra extra care with placing them. As you can see by the slightly wobbly bodice seam line. My hope... once there's a baby filling out the dress all wobbliness will be hidden.

I used the wrong side of the double gauze as the lining for the bodice. This way it matches the underside of the skirt and I thought it was a fitting pair to the right side. Anything else would have either competed with the sweet simplicity or required a fabric purchase. (not that I'm against fabric purchases)


Pattern :: Geranium Dress by Made by Rae
Size :: 6-12 months
Fabric :: nani IRO Poncho in Double Gauze


Geranium Dress

Snaps!!

Yellow Snaps!

Comments

  1. This is so sweet Megan. I love the way you thought to line it with the same fabric reversed. So clever! And the cheery little yellow snaps slay me. Special indeed... : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Adrianne!

      I should have included that using the fabric in reverse was also a bit of a brain exercise to remember which piece was what and which sides I should be putting together. I got a sample pack of the snaps with just shy of a million different colors. It was hard to choose, but this yellow ended up being the clear winner. Now I want to sew bibs and onesies and all things that need snaps! :)

      Delete
  2. Cute, cute, cute! How exciting for you to be sewing for your own little sweet one. I posted a dress for my 2-year-old granddaughter today. It's a similar style to yours but the fabric is very different. Congratulations on your coming new baby!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I was so happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. what a sweet dress ! great job on it as well. I just sewed up some swaddle blankets in double gauze and it is a bit tricky !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet little dress! And I love those that pop of yellow from the snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This geranium dress is so cute! And I still can't believe you're going to have a BABY!!! So, so, so, so, SO exciting! I'm sure you've already had a million offers, but sign me as a babysitter!

    -Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow! How absolutely perfect. I love, love, love it! Good call on using the reverse for the lining. Like you said, simple is fabulous. Congrats on having a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I love the way your dress came out, especially the yellow snaps. Can you tell me if the snaps are plastic or metal? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment