it's may


Another month has rolled around bringing with it more seasonal produce treats.  And another excuse to practice some hand lettering.  {see March & April}  I turned to a google search for hand lettering examples.  There's some awesome work out there to aspire to.

But more exciting than getting to draw out another month of fruits and veggies in pretty letters?  Getting to eat said bounty.  Just this Thursday I was coming home from work - tired for a long day that followed a night with restless sleep - when I perked up remembering the small town farmer's market just waiting for me around the corner.

I hopped out of the shuttle across the street from the park lined with popup canopies covering bright gems of fresh produce.  Slowly, I walked by each stall taking it all in, wondering just what I should bring home.  I selected some plump peas and a bunch of new, multicolored carrots - lumpia dancing in my meal-planning head.  I couldn't pass up the sweetest smelling tender peaches.  As I lifted thise fourth up to my nose the woman next to me smiled and commented, "It's like a drug isn't it?"  I could only nod - too busy smelling.  The last treat to end up in my bag was a tub of garlic and rosemary almonds - so yummy.

I'll have my eye out for other fruits later this month too.  Apricots, cherries, plums, nectarines?  Yes please!

Summer Time Italian Bulgur Salad

4 Roma Tomatoes - quartered length-wise
4 Cloves Garlic - thinly sliced
Italian Seasoning
Salt
Olive Oil

1 cup Cracked Wheat Bulgur
3/4 cup Water
Olive Oil

Baby Spinach
Mozzarella - cubed
Toasted Sunflower Seeds

Preheat oven to 450.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.  Place the quartered tomatoes {skin-side down} on the lined baking sheet.  Add a slice or two of garlic to each cut side of the tomato.  Sprinkle with italian seasoning and salt and drizzle with a little olive oil.  Roast for approximately 35 minutes or until the skin begins to blacken and the tomatoes shrivel a bit.

Meanwhile, heat small amount of olive oil over medium-high heat in a small pot.  Add the bulgur and stir to coat.  Toast for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add water and turn heat down to low.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.

To build the salad, start by dividing the bulgur between bowls and drizzle some of the dressing over it.  Cover with spinach, mozzerella and toasted sunflower seeds.  Place several toasted tomatoes on top and finish with more dressing.

The Dressing:
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Brown Sugar

Basically - just mix a splash of each.  Adjust to your taste preferences.  


Comments