making :: lined drawstring bag


Lukas found Ediza an awesome set of castle blocks on Etsy for her Hanukah present. While it might have been more apt to give her a dragon costume to go with her stunning castle destruction abilities, we didn't think of that in time. Instead, Eddylou got a momma made drawstring bag to keep all her blocks neat and tidy.

For the drawstring bag, I used Jeni Baker's easy to follow tutorial with my own dimensions. The only minor misstep I had was sewing the lining to the outside upside down. The tutorial does guide you through using directional fabrics on the outside of the bag, but when I used the same idea for the lining I got things turned around the wrong way. One minute of thinking things through would have saved me some seem ripping, but alas the mistake was made. If you're following the tutorial and using a directional fabric for the lining remember that the top should be sewed to the top piece of the outside fabric.

This was a quick and easy sew - minus my brain fart. When it came time to make the drawstring I was at a loss until I opened my fabric bin. Right there was some left-over binding from the Sugar Pop quilt I had made back in 2015. It was just the right length and only needed a bit of pressing and stitching to turn it into a drawstring. Perfect! And talk about fabric saving... the main yellow fabric I used was a canvas print I got at Harts Fabric way back in 2009!






Line Drawstring Bag
using my own dimensions:
:: lining - 17.5" x 15.5"
:: outer accent - 6" x 15.5"
:: outer main - 12" x 15.5"

:: Fabrics ::
Unknown yellow with hedgehogs
Tiger Lilly by Heather Ross




Comments

  1. One of my favorite tutorials! Your project is lovely. The first picture made me think of a pineapple. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment