a little bit of :: a photo journey {Washington D.C.}


In April I flew across the country to attend a training for work. It was a quick trip with two full days of learning, but the evenings were my own. I booked my flights so I would arrive while the sun was still up and I wouldn't have to navigate the city in the dark. The elderly woman sitting next to me on the plane was flying out to bury her husband at Arlington. Scattered throughout the plane were members of her family and her daughter sat next to her making sure she was taken care of. Her eyes light up when talking about her grandchildren and great grandchildren. It meant so much to her that they were coming with her.

On Friday night I scrambled to find a Seder for the first night of Passover and ended up at GWU Hillel. I was nervous to be going by myself and so was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I think I am finally far enough removed from the undergraduate life that any social awkwardness is gone. There wasn't a need to fit in or get approval and I was just comfortable to be myself.

The pictures below are from Thursday evening when I walked and walked and walked. Down to the Mall and then from the Washington Monument to the World War II Memorial. The place was crawling with class trips and groups of young adults playing softball and kickball. The key (although I don't think I was ever in any sketchy areas) for being a woman traveling alone - walk like you know where you're going. Head forward, eyes up, confident. This actually got me stopped twice by people asking for directions. Ha!


Washington D.C. :: 2016
the view from my hotel room - Washington Monument just peaking into the picture

Washington D.C. :: 2016
Security at The White House

Washington D.C. :: 2016


Washington D.C. :: 2016
My belly was still small enough I could lay on the grass to get this shot.

Washington D.C. :: 2016
World War II Memorial

Washington D.C. :: 2016
World War II Memorial

Washington D.C. :: 2016
World War II Memorial - view across the reflecting pool towards the Lincoln Memorial

Washington D.C. :: 2016


Washington D.C. :: 2016
This little girl was having fun striking poses while her mom wandered around taking pictures.



Comments