what's a coyote look like?

coyote
Although the picture hardly does the moment justice the story is worth telling...

The shuttle driver, a talkative Hispanic guy, took the major dip in the road a bit faster than he should have.  He bounced his two passengers - me and another guy about my age - several inches out of our seats.  "Whoa!"  "Sorry," he told us.  "It was a coyote."  Except at that moment he was just kidding.  As we continued down the undulating road he told us about another passenger who had told him there were coyotes in the area.  "Have you ever seen one?" he asked.  And though I have seen one in Yosemite I haven't ever seen one in this area just down the road from the train station.

"What do they look like?" the driver asked.  Just as I opened my mouth to give a description of what they look like I glanced through the front window of the shuttle bus.  There, right in the middle of the road was a pack of 4 or 5 of them.  "That's what they look like!" I exclaimed.  "Right in front of us!"  The driver slowed and the pack took off quickly in all directions.  

I was really wishing I had a little bit more reach with the lens on my camera.  Still, got to make do.  Through the open shuttle door I tried to quickly get the coyote in my shot.  Can you make the little guy out?  I won't hold it against you if you can't.  

Comments