garden gems

tomatoes!
The tomato experiment of 2011 would get a B- if it was graded. I planted a solitary tomato plant, so I can't say I had much invested. I was worried it would be a complete failure so I just did one plant.

And at first it looked happy in my garden. Even if it was small. But then, it began to look a lot less happy. As my plants were disappearing the little tomato looked about ready to give up. The plant thief spared the tomato plant and a little more watering perked it up. Then over night it seemed to start to grow.

tomatoes!
And then I noticed little green tomatoes. They got bigger. And then they started turning golden. When we returned from the long weekend, most of them were ready for eating. I get so excited anytime I can pull something from the garden. Like I've accomplished something amazing. Except, in truth, most of my plants survive inspite of me not because of anything special I've done.

So, with the exception of 3 more little tomatoes still needing to ripen, this was my tomato harvest. It was enough for a pizza and lunch with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. Yum! I'm learning, just like with everything else in life, you get what you put in. This book has been inspiring me for next year. And maybe I'll even get a winter garden going this year.

tomatoes!

Comments